On this asssignment, you will be discussing James Jones’s “Strikes and Labor Organization in TN” from the Tennessee Historical Quarterly. . Your response should include your reflections on the readings and can engage the content.
As you are thinking about your writing for these readings, it may be helpful to think about the following questions, though you should in no way feel limited to discussing these points.
- THESIS: What is this reading’s thesis? Does it have one major point? Or multiple points?
- IMPORTANCE: WHY does this thesis matter? How does this book complement or challenge the thesis presented in other works that we have read?
- EVIDENCE: What evidence does the author use to support his/her thesis? What types of evidence? How does this evidence connect to the thesis and any sub-points?
- COGENCY AND CRITIQUE: What is MOST convincing about this book’s use of evidence? What is LEAST convincing? Where might it have been improved? How might you have improved it?
- RELEVANCY: Would this thesis have been relevant if the author had been looking elsewhere, at another group of individuals, at another community, at another time period? Do not simply answer the questions, write this as an essay with a minimum of 500 words.