Note:Your answers do not need to be long and detailed. I will accept short answers of one to two lines as well.
- What was the first sect in Islam and what did it dispute about?
- What do you understand by the phenomenon of Islam and what approaches/methods are adopted to study that?
Three major historical-critical approaches will be resorted to:
1. Source Critical Approach:
Trying to understand the very origins/background of a phenomenon
Looking at the current and existing form of a phenomenon
Looking at how a phenomenon is received and understood
- Does religion have any relationship with the beginning of human civilisation; which one emerged first?
- How do you view the disputes among the early Muslim community? Were they all wrong?
- Define ‘civilisation’?
– In easy terms, civilisation refers to the norms and conventions with which human society has learnt to live.
– The more a society is regulated the more civilised it is considered.
- The idea of monotheism is closely connected with religion and society. Explain.
- In which century Uthman was assassinated and what triggered that?
- What is the relationship between religion and politics? Answer in the light of what you have learned about Islamic history and civilization so far.